Friday, November 22, 2013

away from home

it's been 3 good months away from home. Finally I have time to sit down, after all the crazy interviews ( I do hope more will come). It's good to be home here in Tucson. Not exactly my home -home as in Malaysia, but I feel good to be back.

Interviewers asked, do you have family here in US? I answered no, but I should have said, I do not have family here, but I do have friends who treat me like family members.

Going to interviews made me miss home even more. Questions like what are your long term plans? What made you want to come to the states? Tell me more about Malaysia.

And so I was reminded of my purpose. My goals.

It's a mixed bags of feelings. Something which is hard to explain. I am sure any Malaysian expatriate will understand this.

The grass is always greener on the other sides. Things are definitely much better here. But certain things, like comfort and the familiar feelings are something which can't be found here.

I remember sharing my experience in Singapore in one of the interviews. Going to Singapore was an eye opening experience. I was from a small town, Kuantan, I am confined to the small city, not knowing how big the world outside can offer me.

Yes, it changed my life. The two years in Singapore. Looking at how this small dot can progress, it is definitely a big slap on the face. We have so much more potential, in terms of resources and talent. But it is just wasted away.

Stepping out of my comfort zone. That's a big step I made. It's not easy. Nothing is ever easy.  Saw this quote: the number one reason why people give up so fast is because they tend to look at how far they still have to go, instead of how far they have gotten.

I have gone this far. Further than I thought I could. I always welcome surprises. Also opportunities. They said, opportunities are for people who are prepared. I agree!

No comments: